Last September 2nd, Álvaro García and Hugo Larzábal hosted a webinar sponsored by Gurobi aimed at planners in the Logistics, Transportation, Delivery, Courier or Travel, Tourism & Hospitality industries titled “How to synchronize complex routing operations (synched VRPs) with Gurobi”
Surging demand for goods by customers has resulted in increasingly complex routing problems. In order to satisfy this demand and deliver the right products to the right places at the right times to customers, companies providing logistics services must be able to coordinate several crews and fleets and utilize their resources (such as vehicles and workers) in the most efficient manner possible.
Sometimes the person responsible for planning has vehicles at his disposal, with mixed teams of drivers and handlers to move the materials and carry out their loading and unloading.
The key to profitability for companies providing logistics services is being able to generate schedules and routes that enable them to perform tasks in the shortest possible time and optimize the utilization of their critical resources.
In this webinar, we:
- Presented different ways to model vehicle routing problems.
- Discussed the advantages of each modeling alternatives.
- Explained how to model the requirements related to synching resources in routing activities.
- Presented different approaches to address larger problems by means of combining different mathematical models in a clever way.
- Assessed the best modeling alternative depending on the size of the problem.
You can watch the session recording here:
Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash